Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Scything Photos

Doesn't it just look so cool and ... "old country?" You can see some of what I have done, lots to go as the property goes back to near the distant tree line. And that telephone pole just over my head, in front of the distant house, is essentially our corner pole.















This series shows pretty much the process, though I can see from these photos that I DO NOT HAVE GOOD FORM and need to work on the "rotate at the hips" thing... think old Jack La Lane exercise...























Can you see on the photo above right the flying grasses at the end of my scythe?

And every 5 minutes or so it is time to stone the blade. One carries the whetstone in a sheath on the belt, with a little water (see the first shot, from behind). A few strokes, just to keep it sharp, are sufficient...

1 comment:

Tali said...

very cool! do you pan to do this every year? or will you be making that LARGE ara all garden? I really like your land. its so beautiful.

Readers...