Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Gardening right along

I got the berry bushes, grapes and the mums in Sunday the 7th. the rain from Hannah was a wonderful blessing and made it POSSIBLE for me to actually get my spading fork into the earthy.

Also planted a bunch of the spring bulbs as well, in and around the bed with the mums. And I wish I had kept one of those old doors! The trash sitting by the garage did a bang-up job of depriving the grass and such of light and water and air, effectively clearing my bed for me. I had only to dig a bit and rake a bit and the roots all came out (a far cry from the sod removal necessary for planting the berries!

Ah, well... what is, is I guess.

I only broke ONE shovel in the process (my wimpy, NC d-handle spade) and I wasn't cranking on that rock nearly as hard as I have in the past to break them -- or can still do. Oh, well I got that tool for sandy NC soils anyway. I NEED to find fiberglas handled tools, like my mattock, but they don't seem to have that material in the short handles on shovels and the like. At least not in the big box stores here...

Yesterday it rained -- mostly not terribly hard but most of the day from mid-morning on... a good soaking rain. I had decided to throw some old lettuce and dill seeds in with the ornamentals, so we will see if anything sprouts and how well/ how long it lives. That is a protected area by the garage...

I also have a bunch more free plants -- mostly old annuals that it is way too late for -- from freecycle and need to dig up a place (east side of the driveway) and plant the remainder of the bulbs, so I will stick them in there. Still trying to decide where the "dooryard herb garden" should go. I don't want to have to move it when we add on the south porch/solar greenhouse..

Well maybe after work today I will get back in time to think about such things. This weekend is supposed to be rainy again, so I need to get the planting done prior to Friday, and some laundry as well. At least today the boss won't be likely to keep me there for hours as he is hopefully happily on his way to Scotland!

time to get at it...

No comments:

Readers...