Monday, August 18, 2008

Hobbling Onward...

Slow progress is the word of the day. We made one more trip back to the trailer yesterday, and a trip to Bangor for needed stuff. Both of us were pretty well wiped. K reported that if he didn't get to feeling better I could take him to the ER, but that was just before he hopped into the Subaru to transport a full load home, with me following. He spent a lot of time “gathering energy” and me hobbling, but from somewhere he summoned energy to unload the cooler full of frozen food and an entire pickup load from Artie, for which I was as much thankful for his not needing to go to the ER as I was for the help.

There are still odd ends at the trailer, and likely the last of it will be brought today as I swing by after work. Or close to the last of it at least, as I will leave my tool box until after the cleaning and such is done... and there will be cleaning supplies, etc to come home this weekend.

Cats in the cupboard and can see me...

Home... is of course in chaos. There is no way to put the louvered bifold doors, that we have been using as cat excluders, up so the feline contingent – who are currently incarcerated in what will become the Craft room. In the photo you can see Brandi, checking to make sure all her cats are here.. the hutch came with the house (LOTS of stuff “came with the house... more on that later!)and the felines are making good use of it. Cats in the cupboard from left to right, Sherrie “FuzzyButt,” Agnes, Buster, Ghost and underneath in front is Sparky and peeking out behind her, Kindness. Only ones missing in this photo are the new kittens, 13 and Moose, and Harker. Anyway, we had hoped to be able to give them the run of the laundry room as well as bed and master bath (which is huge, by the way...) but since we cannot reasonably install the bifold doors, they will be confined to the bedroom and master bath, until such time as we get the porches built – part of which will be set up as a cat porch, with extra-stout screens, climbing tree, etc.

Neither of us wants to deal with cats in the kitchen, which would be the only other option, were we to allow them free run of the place. So, for the first time in years, we will have a cat-free living room as well. On the other hand, I will need to get a couple extra king size flat sheets to throw over the bed and wash them every other day or so to keep the hair down on the covers enough to sleep without a nose full of cat hair, I fear.

Brandi is settling in as well. I think she likes having more space, though we do not yet have a dog-yard up, nor the back door steps rebuilt so that she can go in and out to the yard that way, which will be the end result of all this. For now, she is in the front, on-leash as she was in Milo... but she has a the large deck to lie on (which she seems to enjoy).

I am thinking that Angela was less prepared even than we were for this move... she said she had left “presents”... stuff that she didn't need and just gave up on... and we had found a pile of art stuff and another of board games, etc. on move-ion day... but I also had to empty bathroom drawers, and I have not yet emptied kitchen stuff. She left a nice, programmable coffee pot (which of course uses different size and shape filters from mine! LOL) and a microwave and toaster... an electric can opener, mounted under the kitchen cabinet (which will go away) and radio (likely ditto... not because I don't like a radio in the kitchen but because the damn thing has a clock on it... as does the oven... and I detest having the time flashed at me at every turn.

We enjoyed breakfast buffet at the local restaurant yesterday morning (about 7 miles away) and I made burgers, frozen fries and salad for supper last evening, our first meal in our new home. In a few minutes I will go searching for the oats to make for breakfast and then head out to work. I want to stop by the library and catch Wifi to upload this, my Words of Wisdom (which didn't get posted yesterday, as we both were too spacey and forgot the modem and laptop on our trip back to the trailer park)

I am slowly in the process of de-pink-afying the new place. The previous owner loved PINK and frilly...I have already replaced the bedroom draped with our green print ones which are a hand-me-down from DC-area friend Lorrie a few years ago. The rods are up a bit high, so there is a gap at the bottom, but moving rods down will easily solve that and can be done at any time. There are pink frilly in the bathroom and kitchen window that will come down today and pink sheers at the dining room which will likely be replaced with muslin this weekend (once sewing machine and I have a bit of time... ) suprpisingly, both the drapes and sheers in the living room are tolerable... a heavy lace sheer and natural color drape that could be a muslin but are likely a synthetic blend... she also left a halfway decent sitting couch, but the damn thing is RED VELOUR. A couple of king sheets will cover it for now though...

No comments:

Readers...