Thursday, February 5, 2009

Backlit birds not easy to identify





While we were eating breakfast this morning, K noted bird shadows moving past the window (he faces the south kitchen window at the table, I face the north one) and I was not only able to grab the binoculars for a good look, but the camera... and managed to get off a couple of shots before the skittish little fellows took off as K walked into the living room.

I believe that the comment on the previous post, suggesting they are redpolls, may be correct, though I did not see any strong signs of the reddish patches. Even with the binocs, though, I was working at a disadvantage... through a somewhat funky double pane window and against the sun.

However they did stay around to eat today, and play on the snowbanks and that means most likely I will get many more chances to see and photograph them.

Now, if I can just get them around to the north side of the house, in the sunshine!

No comments:

Readers...